Off the beaten path
- Its history is marked by Messapian settlements, Jewish scholars and doctors who established a cultural community and heritage here. It is situated on a hill, with the majestic castle built between 1225 and 1233 by order of Emperor Frederick II at the top.
- The narrow streets of the old town are decorated with flowers and lemon trees. Beautiful palaces, the cathedral Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo in a panoramic position, churches and small churches, alleys, squares, fountains, everything to explore and photograph, what can I say, I am in love with it.
- For lunch I recommend the Osteria Luce, in the same place since 1898!
- Leaving from the houses of Alchimia, you can get there in about an hour, there are two possibilities: passing Cisternino, Ceglie Messapica and Francavilla Fontana or taking the highway to Brindisi, then Latiano and finally Oria.
- PS: the castle – a national monument, but privately owned – cannot be visited inside; in recent years it has been under confiscation for illegal building, what a shame!