Address Porto di Trani
Type of location
Charming harbour town
1 hour 15 minutes by car from Masseria Alchimia
30 km north of Bari
- Visit the cathedral
- Walk on the quay
- Eat fish at Corteinfiore
- Have a croissants at Bar Centrale
- Excursion to Castel Del Monte
- I consider Trani to be one of the most beautiful places in Puglia. It is a port town with Byzantine, Arab and Baroque influences. It is located 30 km north of Bari and can be reached by car from the Masseria in just over an hour.
- After a croissant at the Bar Centrale…really good…I suggest you start your visit at the iconic Cathedral of San Nicola. It is very white and built overlooking the sea. And if you decide to climb the 258 steps to the top of the bell tower, you can admire all the beauty of the city.
- Right in front of it is the harbour, with its colourful boats and fishing boats. The cathedral and the harbour are postcard-perfect and are also the most photographed places in the old town.
- A few more steps and Trani reveals another treasure: the Castle of Svevo. The interior cannot be visited, but I invite you to walk on the walls: the view is really impressive! Behind the castle, I suggest you wander through the pretty, well-kept alleyways leading to the Jewish quarter and its three synagogues.
- And then, you can’t miss Palazzo Nugnes, home of Nugnes 1920, an icon of fashion and luxury. Come in and have a look: the clothes are displayed as if they were in the display cases of an art gallery and the ceilings are entirely frescoed.
- For food, you’re spoilt for choice, check the restaurant pages of this Magazin.
- Furthermore, I recommend combining a visit to Castel Del Monte, just 30 km from Trani. And maybe you can find a table at theTrattoria Antichi Sapori which has always been one of the best restaurants in Puglia, just 15 minutes’ drive from the castle. We will be happy to reserve a table for you.
- Finally, one last suggestion for those who appreciate culture and entertainment: in September there are the Trani Dialogues, a high-level review of books, reading and current affairs, not to be missed.